The current property was officially deeded to the trustees of St. Peter’s in 1891.
A.B. Mackay describes the situation prior to 1891:
In her Historical Sketch Church of St-Peter-on-the-Rock, Maud Pope describes the interior of the barn.
For seats, planks of wood and blocks were procured and arranged round the walls. Sapin boughs covered the chimney opening, serving as a sort of dossal; the altar (which was a large packing case of wood) was covered with a heavy crimson rep. There was an old carriage in the barn, which was rolled out on to the grounds on Sunday. Mr. Fothergill had a small harmonium which his sons put on a wheelbarrow and brought up to the barn before service and returned to the cottage afterwards. Mrs. Fothergill played the instrument, the congregation joining heartily in the singing of the chants and hymns. These services continued to be held in the barn for several years.
Upon receipt of the property in 1891 the trustees quickly got to work to create a chapel.
The barn was boarded inside and out and windows inserted; a dairy on the grounds was moved up and made a small though useful chancel, benches were added a comfortable little chapel the result.
Between September 9, 1921 and June 25, 1922 the old building was torn down and new church built, a replica in size, proportion and colour of the original.
According the the Dictionary of Architects in Canada, Jean Charles Warren helped in the reconstruction of the St. Peter’s in 1922.
WARREN, Jean Charles (1868-1931) worked as an architect and builder in the Murray Bay and Pointe-au-Pic region of Quebec. Many of his designs for large residences were influenced by American shingle style precedents developed by firms such as McKim, Mead & White of New York and by Peabody & Stearns of Boston. In 1904 he designed the Chateau Murray Hotel, MURRAY BAY, QUE. (demol. 1928), and in 1922 he assisted with the reconstruction of St Peter-on-the-Rock Anglican Church, CAP A L’AIGLE, QUE., a structure which replicated the original church completed there in 1889 (E. Kerry, Church of St. Peter-on-the-Rock 1872-1972, 10). He adapted the domestic Tudor Revival style in his design for ‘Penteaves’, the residence of Charles Livingood, POINTE-AU-PIC, QUE. in 1923 (C.H.G., v, May 1928, 25-8) and executed schemes for several other houses either on his own or in collaboration with other architects. An illustrated study of his architectural contribution to the heritage of the Murray Bay area was published in 1986 (Philippe Dube, Deux cents ans de villegiature dans Charlevoix, 147-65, illus.).
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-31420541-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);